Delta Gamma was founded in 1873 in Oxford, Mississippi, at the Lewis School for Girls near the University of Mississippi. The early growth for Delta Gamma was confined to women’s colleges in the South.
Within a few years, Delta Gamma was established in the North and then later expanded to the East. In 1891, Delta Gamma was one of the seven charter members of the National Panhellenic Conference when the first inter-sorority meeting was held in Boston.
As the population moved West, so did Delta Gamma. What began as a club in the South soon became an international fraternity in both scope and thinking as Delta Gamma established itself not only in the United States, but also in Canada. Through the years, goals and achievements have grown as Delta Gammas continue to live by the motto set forth by the Founders, “Do Good."
The three founders of Delta Gamma are Anna Boyd Ellington, Eva Webb Dodd, and Mary Comfort Leonard. The trio grew up together in Kosciusko, Mississippi, attended the Lewis School in Oxford and founded Delta Gamma during a lonely Christmas holiday. Anna and Eva were first cousins and Anna and Mary shared the same birthday. Each of the three Founders was a woman of strong character and special talents.